How to Check Driver’s License Status and Order an Iowa Driving Record
You have 3 options for getting your driving record.
- You can visit an Office of Driver Services location and complete the Privacy Act Agreement for Request of Motor Vehicle Records (fill the sections A and D). You should pay $5.50 to receive a copy of your Iowa driving record.
- You can mail a request form to the: Office of Driver Services, Iowa Department of Transportation, P.O. Box 9204, Des Moines, IA 50306. Pay $5.50 to receive a copy of your Iowa driving record. All mail requests require a check for the fee charged. Checks need to be addressed to “Treasurer, State of Iowa.”
- You can view a digital copy of the record online. Visit the Iowa Department of Transportation’s myMVD website and enter identifying information. You will need to fulfill in your name, date of birth, last five digits in your Social Security number, and Iowa driver’s license number. Be prepared to pay the $1.50 service fee charged, as well as the $5.50 processing fee to view your record online.
For requesting someone else’s certified IA driver record, you only have 2 options: by mail or in person. Also, you will need to attach proof of their written consent.
Note: you can only order your own certified Iowa driving record online.
The online method of checking the status of a driver’s license is the most popular one because it is practical and easy. There are a couple of ways of how you can do that. The first one is to go to e-verify.gov. The entire process is described in the link that we attached. On the other hand, you can also do that at mymvd.iowadot.gov. Enter your first name in the first box, and the last name in the second box exactly as it is written on your license or identification card (e.g. Matthew instead of Matt). The other essential thing to be careful with is to use the LAST 5 digits of your social security number because many people make mistakes by entering only the last 4 digits. Also you’ll need to enter Iowa driver’s license number or identification card number. You will be charged the $5.50 fee, plus a $1.50 service charge. You can pay with a credit or debit card. In case you have some problems while using an online service, there are two ways how you can solve it. You can call 515-244-1052 or send a mail to myMVD@iowadot.us
For requesting another person’s driving record, you can do that by mail or in person at the Iowa DMV office with written consent.
In Person or By Mail
Complete sections A and D if you are requesting your driving record in the Privacy Act Agreement For Request of Motor Vehicle Records (Form 431069). You will need to bring your driver’s license or some else identification card. If you are requesting the driver record of another person, you will need to have written consent. The Payment will be charged a $5.50 fee. If you are ordering the record by mail, do not forget to address the payment to the “Treasurer, State of Iowa.”
Bring everything we mentioned above to your local Iowa DMV office, or mail them to Driver & Identification Services, Iowa Department of Transportation, P.O. Box 9204, Des Moines, IA 50306
- For searches, the fee is $5/15 minutes or a fraction thereof
- For computer copies, the fee is $1/printed record
- For photocopies, the fee is $0.10/printed record
- For certified copies, the fee is $0.50/printed record
- For escrow accounts, escrow accounts need to be established.
Correct Errors on Your IA Driving Record
You should be careful and make sure your IA driver record is correct. Incorrect information can lead to increased car insurance premiums, fines, and even driver’s license suspension.
For correcting your Iowa driving record, contact the IA Department of Transportation at: (800) 532-1121 (toll-free in Iowa only) or (515) 244-8725.
How to Request Motor Vehicle Records
Records can be researched by vehicle identification number, name, title number, and license plate number. The request can only be accepted in writing, by fax, or in person.You won’t get the information if the payment is not made
Note: The Federal Driver’s Privacy Protection Act, Pub. No. 106-69, 350(b) or 18 U.S.C. 2721, and Iowa Code 321.11 prohibits the disclosure of personal information about any individual from a motor vehicle record to the public without the written consent of the person to whom the information pertains.
Personal information about motor vehicle records may be released under provisions of the: Federal Driver’s Privacy Protection Act and Iowa Code 321.11., Office of Vehicle & Motor, Carrier Services, Iowa Department of Transportation, P.O. Box 9278, Des Moines, Iowa 50306-9278, Fax: 515-237-3056
Privacy Act Agreement for Request of Motor Vehicle Records
For getting personal information from motor vehicle records and/or by plate number, you need to complete the necessary Privacy Act Agreement For Request of Motor Vehicle Records form. After completing it, you need to get approval. Mail it to the: Office of Vehicle & Motor Carrier Services, Iowa Department of Transportation , P.O. Box 9278, Des Moines, Iowa 50306-9278.
How can I contact the Iowa Driver and Identification Services?
You can do that over Iowa Driver and Identification Services in five different ways:
- Mailing Address – Driver and Identification Services P.O. Box 9204, Des Moines, IA 50306-9204
- Physical Address – Driver and Identification Services, 6310 SE Convenience Blvd. Ankeny, IA 50021
- Telephone – 515-244-9124 – Local Des Moines, 515-244-8725 – Local Des Moines
- FAX – 515-239-1837 – Local Ames
- E-mail – Driver.Services@iowadot.us